Remember how I said I was going to update this thing every week? So far, I really suck at that. Sorry to disappoint my two readers! <3 you ladies!
Why the delay? In a word: exhaustion. I am tired all the time. But that’s because I’m working on some goals, so it’s a good thing!
Mini Goal: 90 Day Fitness Challenge
So far, I’d say I’m doing great with this one. Not perfect – I haven’t hit every goal I set every week, but I’m working on it. Progress, not perfection, right?
- 1 hour strength/cardio 4 days a week plus 1 hour of yoga – DOING IT! I’ve been going to some classes, like Zumba and Kickboxing, and logging miles on the elliptical. I’ve also been doing weight machines and hopefully I’ll develop muscles in my noodley arms.
- Add non-fat milk and Greek yogurt – DOING IT! I’ve been making frozen yogurt pops and drinking chocolate milk after workouts. I’ll be sharing the recipes for those yogurt pops soon, because they rock!
- Minimum of 5000 steps a day – SORT OF DOING IT. I’m hitting this goal if you take an average over the course of the week… but not every single day. I’ve also messed up my log a few times by letting my Fitbit run out of battery power. Ooops!
- Eat 3 meals a day and cook at home 5 nights a week – ALMOST DOING IT. I have been eating three meals a day, thanks to Belvita biscuits which are the perfect breakfast food. They’re sweet enough that they don’t gross me out but not so sweet that they mess up my blood sugar. I’ve also been cooking dinner at home, but only 4 nights a week. I let social stuff get in the way of that one.
- 4 servings of fruits/veggies, 3 servings of whole grains, and lean protein every day – not doing it. 🙁 I generally eat only 3 servings of fruits/veggies and 2 servings of whole grains. My nutrient stats still look pretty good, but I definitely need to add fiber and protein.
- Drink 48 oz of water every day – not doing it. 🙁 I max out at 40 most days. I just can’t get that last glass in because it makes me feel sloshy. However, 40 oz is a big improvement over the 0 oz I was drinking before.
While I may not be hitting every goal exactly, it’s really making a difference. My cardio and strength have already improved. My first Zumba class was a disaster, but last night’s wasn’t so bad. I have a long way to go before I’m as good as most of the other Zumba ladies, but it’s cool to see improvement.
Food-wise, I can’t say I feel any healthier. Healthy food, roughage in particular, does not agree with me at all. For whatever reason, my stomach prefers carbs, grease, and sugar. Eat a basket of french fries and fake cheese followed by a cupcake? I feel awesome. Eat a whole salad? Not so much. So I’m not feeling better, but I’m going to stick with it because I’ve been told my belly just needs to get used to it.
And my weight? Down 6 lbs! Pretty good for three weeks, I think.
Thing #27: Get a Meaningful Job
My most recent career move has taken me into the realm of professional development, which is something I’ve always wanted to do. I love helping people, I like interacting with and speaking in front of groups, and I find it rewarding to see others be successful. I just finished my first full 6 week training course with one group of newbies and now I have to ask myself… is this job meaningful? Have I completed Thing #27 already? It was towards the end of the list for a reason – I thought it’d take years to find a meaningful, rewarding niche for myself. But have I done it?
After thoughtful consideration… I still don’t know. I don’t get the high I used to feel after doing great work for my own business, but I was really good at that. I’m not good at this yet. I’m doing my best but every day there’s something I’ve never handled before so I’m just not nailing all of it the way I’d like. It’s also totally and completely draining and it’s hard to find meaning when I feel so flattened.
So we’ll see. I can see the potential in this job but I need a little more time to practice.
Thing #28: Read 300 Books
UGH. I have sucked at this lately. I fall asleep about 5 pages after I start reading… and that’s when I’m awake enough to read. It doesn’t help that the book I’m working on, The Lady and The Monk, is soooooooo boring. It’s nicely written but seriously dull. I’m debating abandoning it because I’ve read it for a month and I’m only a third of the way through. I think I’ll pause and switch books for a while.
That’s where I’m at! I’m hoping to find time to post more about our wonderful house, the trip we’ll be taking in September, how I compare prices on airline tickets, and about some healthy recipes I’ve invented, so look out for those in the (hopefully near) future.